An alternative Christmas Cake Recipe
Excitingly but also scarily, Christmas is just around the corner! With that in mind here at Brock & Morten we thought it was a good idea to let you know about our delicious Chocolate and Amaretto Cake that most certainly goes down a treat with guests during the festive period.
We are aware that the Christmas period is filled with enjoying lots of delicious and tasty treats, and this cake makes a perfect addition. It also acts as the perfect alternative to the traditional Christmas cake. We have used our healthy Brock & Morten Natural Rapeseed Oil within the recipe too.
Chocolate, Amaretto and Rapeseed Oil Cake
- 200g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 150ml Brock & Morten Natural Rapeseed Oil
- 200g self-raising flour
- 120g caster sugar
- 2 whole courgettes, finely grated
- 50g hazelnuts, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp. amaretto
- 200g crème fraîche
- The zest of 1 medium orange
- ½ tsp orange blossom
- ½ vanilla pod
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4. Line the inside of a cake tin with a little Brock & Morten Natural Rapeseed Oil, baking parchment or greaseproof paper. Bring a small pot of water to a simmer.
- Add the chocolate to a bowl and set on top of the pan of water, making sure it doesn’t touch the bottom or it will burn and become grainy. Stir gently with a wooden spoon until fully melted.
- Put the eggs and Brock & Morten Natural Rapeseed Oil in a bowl and whisk together until light and fluffy. Put the flour, sugar and a pinch of salt in another bowl and mix.
- Add the egg and rapeseed oil mix to the flour and begin to stir until it has bound. Now add the courgettes, hazelnuts and melted chocolate and stir until it is completely mixed through. Pour the mix into the tin and place in the centre of the hot oven. Bake for 45 minutes. The cake is cooked when it feels firm but springy.
- Puncture holes in the top of the cake and splash the amaretto all over the top. Turn out the cake and allow to cool slightly. Mix together the crème fraîche, orange zest, orange blossom and vanilla in a bowl. Serve on the side of the cake.
… we hope you enjoy!